August smart lock is easy to install and operate. But without calibrating it, operating it is no fun. As most users get stuck in-between the calibration process, we found a couple of them reporting “how do I calibrate my august smart lock” on different social media forums. I did a quick research on the topic and here’s what I know :
how do I calibrate my august smart lock? Before calibrating the august smart lock, it is a must to measure a place to adjust the door-sense on the door. Then placing it on the door frame, tightening its screws, and calibrating the door sense feature will properly calibrate the lock.
Note that calibrating the August lock alone cannot ensure better and long-lasting performance of the lock. It needs regular lubrication and maintenance as well to work perfectly. Thus, we will cover these two processes too, helping you get the best of the lock features.
How Do You Calibrate August Door Sense?
The August door sense feature is necessary to know the security status of your door. But if august lock door sense not working properly, you cannot track the status. So, to fix such august lock error calibrating the door sense, these steps are what you need to follow:
- Step 1: In order to attach Doorsense, ensure to establish a place within no less than 1.5 inches from the frame of door, and 1.5 inches from the lowest point of deadbolt.
- Step 2: Attach mountain tape to the backside of the Doorsense
- Step 3: Vertically attach the Doorsense to the door.
- Step 4: Tighten the screws to tighten the Doorsense.
- Step 5: Onto the unit of Doorsense, pressing the cover as gently as possible should be your next task.
- Step 6: After adjusting Doorsense, open the August smart lock app.
- Step 7: From the Lock Settings option, click on the Calibrate Lock option.
- Step 8: Then select the Lock and Doorsense option.
- Step 9: Finally, follow the prompt to calibrate the Doorsense properly.
Also Read My recent article where I explain about unlocking August Smart Lock manually.
How To Lubricate August Lock?
Like any other smart locks, the August locks parts can wear out after a certain period. If you do not lubricate the lock often, you are most likely to face the issue earlier than expected. Because the parts conflict with each other and jam the lock.
So, to smoothly operate the lock, follow these steps:
- Step 1: First, you need to clean the dust that has developed inside the keyhole that can jam the lock. To do that, hold a hairdryer or can of pressurized air close to the hole.
Step 2: Then gently press down the dryer or can to blow air through the keyhole and it will remove most of the dust.
- Step 3: Take a spray cleaner or WD-40 to clean the lock opening and cylinder of the keyhole. So, keep the spray nozzle close to the hole and spray twice or thrice throughout the hole.
- Step 4: To make sure no dust piles up inside the keyhole you need to apply dry lubricant. Take any dry lubricant can and insert the straw into the keyhole as much as possible and gently spray it.
- Step 5: Ensure the lubricant is spread evenly around the lock. To do that, take a key and insert it into the keyhole and turn it around.
- Step 6: Unscrew the lock parts carefully and spray WD-40 on the parts to clean them
- Step 7: Take a dry cloth and remove any dirt from the parts, especially from the cylinder, knob, and faceplate. Wipe off the parts to remove any remaining liquid.
- Step 8: After there is no moisture left on the parts, apply graphite lubricant to them, especially the moving parts such as the keyhole and cylinder.
- Step 9: Attach the parts and install the lock again, do not forget to tighten the screws as much as possible.
- Step 10: Now operate the lock from the app, and it shall not jam any longer.
- Step 11: If you want, go to the official website and follow august lock motor reset process to unjam the lock properly.
August Smart Lock Maintenance: 9 Essential Tips
August smart locks already have a longer lifespan than the usual digital locks. But they need proper maintenance as well to retain their lifespan and better performance. And here are the tips for its regular maintenance:
- You need to make sure the door with the smart lock doesn’t bend or sag easily, so avoid installing the lock on an old door.
- Keep ⅛ inch of gap between the door and frame around the top and sides.
- You should install long screws for the strike plate and hinges of the door. Such screws prevent the door from sagging and they will keep the smart lock parts from wearing out quickly.
- Try to keep the dead latch aligned with the strike plate. If the latch falls or clashes with the plate, reinstall the parts to align them.
- Do not regularly use the cleaning chemicals to clean the lock. Rather use a damp rag twice a week to remove dust.
- Apply dry lubricants once a year to keep the inside of the lock properly clean.
- Change the batteries of the lock once a year.
- It is better not to use a public Wi-Fi network, otherwise, it can affect the smart lock functions.
- Every four or three months you should try to remove the battery and reinsert it to give a boost to its startup procedure.
Did I Answer Everything You Needs To Know About How Do I Calibrate My August Smart Lock?
August smart locks developers want its users to use the Door sense feature as it helps to keep track of the door’s security status in a faster and easier way. But for the Doorsense feature to work perfectly, proper calibration of the lock or feature is a must.
And due to improper measurement or steps, it is easier to mess up with the method. But we hope that we can put all your queries to rest regarding “how do I calibrate my august smart lock.”
We suggest you not take any step without understanding anything to calibrate the lock. Otherwise, it can jam the lock pretty badly.