When it comes to locking systems, digital doors or mechanical locks have always been the most reliable. And Nest Yale is one of them. But resetting the master codes on them can be quite tricky. So, most users wonder how to change master code on Nest Yale Lock?
To change master code on Nest Yale Lock, first you need to factory reset the lock (if the programming or the previous code is not available) . To factory reset the lock settings, open the battery compartment using a screwdriver. Inside the battery compartment you will find a small resetting button, click and hold the button for 10 to 20 second to reset the lock. Once the lock is reset now you will be able to change the master code easily using the default code i.e.123456.
Sometimes, the lock can act up during the factory reset. And to fix the issues, we will provide the troubleshooting guide as well along with the resetting process. Let’s cut to the chase!
How to Reset Yale Door Lock Code without Master Code?
It is better if you can note down the master code from the yale door lock manual guide. But if you do not have the code, you can still reset or change the lock code. For that, you need to follow the steps described below:
- Step 1: You will need some hand tools as this is a digital mechanical lock, and you need to remove some parts of the lock to reset it.
- So, collect a “Philipps Screwdriver” for removing the unit or faceplate of the lock. You need to get a screwdriver that will fit perfectly with the screw heads of the nest yale lock.
- Step 2: If the screwdriver does not have a comfortable grip, you can wrap a rubber band around it to get more grip. Or you can look for a screwdriver with a comfortable grip, and this is a must. Otherwise, you will struggle to open the lock.
- Step 3: Keep a pair of small paperclips with you, it will be necessary to pull up the battery compartment of the lock.
- Step 4: Before getting into the reset process, you need to keep the door unlocked and wide open. It ensures you do not get locked inside or outside of the home if anything goes wrong.
- Step 5: Make sure the deadbolt of the lock is not extending outwards so that it will not lock itself. And keep a door stopper in front of the door in order that it blocks the door from closing.
- Step 6: Now take the clip or a thin key and gently push it towards the hole located at the upper side of the battery compartment, then push it down firmly.
- Step 7: While you are pushing down the paperclip, you need to gently hold the upper left and right side of the compartment cover, then lift the cover.
- Step 8: You will see four batteries, you need to remove two outer batteries from each corner.
- Step 9: With your screwdriver, remove the two screws you can see at the bottom of the battery panel you have removed the batteries from.
- Step 10: Once you detach the screws, it will be easier to take off the lock from the mountain plate.
- Step 11: Hold the lock properly and press the Blue reset button located at the backside of the lock. And while holding it, insert the batteries.
- Step 12: Keep holding the button until you hear “Erasing All the Settings” from the lock, then release the button and remove the batteries.
- Step 13: Use the screwdriver to tighten the screws back into the place and add the batteries into their places.
- Step 14: Now it is time to activate the lock. So press the keypad of the lock with your hand, and the lock will be activated.
- Step 15: The lock will require the master code now, but as you do not have it, you can use the default programming code, which is 123456.
- Step 16: After entering the default code, press the Hash key (#) from the touch or keypad.
- Step 17: Touch the 2 from the touch screen followed by the Hash key, then press the 1 key and select the Hash key. This step will give you the option to change or reset your door lock.
- Step 18: Keep a new door lock code after selecting the slot number. Complete the process with the Hash key from the touchpad. Now you can use the new code to lock or unlock the door.
Nest Yale Lock Troubleshooting Guide
Sometimes, the Nest Yale Lock Can stop working due to some technical glitches. Here is the step-by-step troubleshooting guide to fix the error:
- Step 1: On the Nest app home screen, long-press the Blue large circle until the blue ring doesn’t go away, it should take you one to three seconds. After that, you can easily lock or unlock the door.
- Step 2: Make sure the Nest app has a stable internet connection.
- Ste p 3: Do not tap on the screen of the lock.
- Step 4: Remove any gloves from your hand and firmly press the touchpad to activate it.
- Step 5: Now, confirm that you’ve closed the door properly.
- Step 6: Remove the dead batteries.
- Step 7: Update the lock or wait for the update to complete.
- Step 8: Properly align the deadbolt.
- Step 9: Unjam the deadbolt with the help of a professional.
What Is The Default Master Code For A Yale Lock?
The Yale lock comes with a master code to program your user code. If you have not changed it or if you have factory reset the lock, the master code is 123456. The default master code is between four to eight digits.
You can change the master code as per your preferences following the reset methods we have discussed.
Did I Answer Your Query About How to Change Master Code on Nest Yale Lock?
Changing the master code with the available programming code is easier. But the question is how to change master code on nest yale lock, especially when you do not have the master code. And the short answer is factory resetting the lock. If you follow our detailed guide, you can change the code and troubleshoot the issues.
However, do not apply too much pressure while disassembling the parts. Try to be gentle with the lock so that you do not mess up with its features!